Open communication – a highly demanded requirement of today’s job seekers. Are you providing this consistently while hiring?
Now we understand how difficult maintaining communication can be, especially while juggling your business needs and recruitment activity. However, in order to engage with and recruit the best talent, keeping communication open throughout each touchpoint is imperative.
Below is a breakdown on the importance of open communication, and how you can maintain this throughout the hiring process.
WHY YOU SHOULD MAINTAIN OPEN COMMUNICATION WHILE HIRING?
A candidate’s experience while engaging with your hiring process can make or break your recruitment potential. In today’s world, we continuously compare experiences to make a decision. Imagine how impactful listening to job seekers needs and implementing them would be on your hiring ability? Now imagine how a lack of communication can damage your employer brand image. Here’s why you should maintain open communication while hiring, and beyond…
- Cater to job seeker’s needs: Although obvious, many companies fail to maintain open communication when recruiting. This is highly off putting for candidates in today’s market. They want involvement, they want information and they want a timeframe. The hiring process can be timely. Therefore, consistent communication will keep suitable, active candidates in the loop. Imagine losing out on the ideal job seeker by neglecting open communication – something as simple as a text?
- Keep candidates engaged with your offering: Open communication should be maintained throughout each hiring touchpoint to ensure engagement is present. There are many further opportunities available, ready for candidates to engage with. By keeping applicants in the loop, there’s a greater likelihood that they will remain loyal and interested in your job opening. If consistent communication comes to a halt, they will search for this elsewhere. Keep engaged, keep the relationship moving and keep building interest.
- Showcase your workplace communication style: Commonly known to make or break candidate attraction, the way in which you recruit provides a first impression for job seekers, whether that be good or bad. Maintaining open communication throughout the hiring process will present your workplace communication style, and how passionate you are to maintain an open, collaborative culture. Small interactions with job seekers can influence their long-term perception.
- Boost your employer brand: As touched on above, maintaining a positive candidate experience is a must when hiring. An effective way to maintain this is through open high-quality communication. Remember that job seekers talk, compare experiences and look for recommendations through the likes of Glassdoor. Consistent open communication will go down well, promoting a positive experience for candidates as they move through the hiring funnel.Without consistent communication, you could damage your likelihood of future hires, giving yourself a bad reputation.
For example, you receive an application from a talented candidate. You invite them to an interview. Post interview, you fail to maintain consistent communication and forget to respond to your candidate.
Imagine the impact this will have on your image? How will this make your candidate feel? You will be perceived as ignorant. Labelled as a company to avoid working for – impacting your ability to attract top candidates.
HOW TO MAINTAIN OPEN COMMUNICATION WHILE HIRING?
By understanding the importance of open communication, and following a set strategy, maintaining consistency can be achieved. From sending follow-up text messages, to increasing engagement through social media posts, there’s many ways you can keep candidates in the loop. Here are a few to get you started…
- Social media: Social media has significantly taken off in recruitment. It is an effective easy way to touch base with candidates, speeding up the communication process. Gone are the days where job seekers want regular phone calls. They need speedy communication, providing them with all the details to act quickly.
- Email marketing: Although this isn’t necessarily contacting candidates personally, consistent open communication through your email marketing campaigns will keep them engaged. Share detail of your latest workplace get together, or information on the hiring process moving forward. Everything you can do to maximise each touchpoint through communication will serve you well.
- Application tracking systems: An ATS will provide an effective strategy to maintain continuous communication and tone of voice, while managing your hiring funnel. This is a great way to ensure open communication is across the board with each applicant, even if unsuccessful. Job seekers want to know where they stand, even if it’s bad news. This will facilitate this.
However, please remember that neglecting open communication can and will damage your reputation. Job seekers share their experiences. Therefore, if you avoid communication or fail to respond to applicants at all, this will be shared, influencing your likelihood of hiring from their circle.